Plate number registration in Nigeria By DCLS
Documents required for registering a new car in Nigeria.
• Car attestation letter from the company of purchase
• Receipt of purchase/invoice
• Delivery note from the company of purchase
• Proof of ownership of the car
• A valid Driver’s License
• Any means of identification such as National Identity card or International Passport.
• Proof of current address.
• Passport photograph of the car owner.
For newly imported cars, the following documents are required:
• Tax Identification Number
• Custom papers
• Motor Vehicle Duty Certificate.
1. Go to the State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority (SBIR/MLA), pick up an allocation of plate number form, and fill in all the required details.
2. Attach all necessary documents and submit them.
3. Once the authorities are satisfied, you will be required to fill these forms:
• Allocation of Registration Number of New Vehicle Form
• Auto vehicle License Form
• Form B
• Federal Road Safety Form
• Tax Form
4. All the filled forms and attached documents are then forwarded to the police officer assigned to the licensing office for verification, by way of verification stamp and date indicated on the form.
5. The next step after the verification process is payment for a license plate which can be done in the bank or with us. The cost accrued is dependent on the type of plate you want.
6. After payment, you will be required to present your receipt and a plate number that is available will be issued to you. You will be given a Proof of Ownership Certificate Number, Proof of ownership Certificate, and a Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT).
7. All the original documents you submitted will then be returned to you.
8. The next step is to buy an insurance policy for your new car.
To register your new car or change your number plate you can click the link below or contact us on 08177121590